from Mirvac Investor Relations Press Release, dated 28 March 2012
Jointly owned by Mirvac Group (“Mirvac”) (ASX:MGR) and K-REIT Asia (“K-REIT”), Sydney‟s 8 Chifley Square development has been awarded a 6 Star Green Star – Office Design v2 certified rating from the Green Building Council of Australia (“GBCA”).
“8 Chifley Square‟s 6 Star Green Star – Office Design v2 rating represents „World Leadership‟ in environmentally sustainable design. 8 Chifley Square is now one of Australia‟s newest green landmarks, and we congratulate the team at Mirvac Group and K-REIT Asia for their green leadership,” says Chief Executive of the Green Building Council of Australia, Romilly Madew.
With Mirvac‟s public commitment to excellence in sustainability, this project demonstrates world leadership in office design and ensures that Sydney‟s newest development is considering its long term impacts on the environment. This is further demonstrated with Mirvac targeting a 5 Star NABERS rating for the development.
Nick Collishaw, Mirvac‟s Managing Director said “Mirvac has long-standing success in translating sustainability philosophies into tangible outcomes, and this is another example of how, through our integrated approach, we can deliver positive results for our tenants, investors and also for the environment in which we operate.”
Located on the corner of Elizabeth, Hunter and Phillip Streets within the core of Sydney‟s CBD, 8 Chifley Square is a thirty four (34) storey premium grade commercial office building designed by internationally renowned architect Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners (“RSH+P”) and Lippmann Partnership.
The environmentally sustainable design features that have been incorporated into the design of 8 Chifley Square include:
- Blackwater recycling plant for the treatment and reuse of building and mains sewer, reducing the building‟s demand on potable water supply and discharge to sewer;
- Tri-generation system for onsite generation of base building power, heating and cooling and peak load reduction from the existing electricity grid. The tri-generation system will also be capable of exporting power to other buildings at certain times of the year;
- Chilled beam mechanical system with high volume of fresh air intake;
- High efficiency façade, including external shading and performance glazing reducing heat load, direct sunlight and daylight glare;
- Naturally ventilated ground floor glass lobby enclosure;
- Use of low volatile organic compound (“VOC”) materials and minimising the use of polyvinyl chloride (“PVC”) products;
- Basement facilities for cyclists including bike racks, change rooms and lockers;
- Photovoltaic ready roof structure.
Ng Hsueh Ling, CEO of K-REIT Asia Management said, “We are pleased that 8 Chifley Square has been awarded the 6 Star Green Star – Office Design v2 rating. 8 Chifley Square complements our portfolio of premium green buildings that generate real cost savings from more efficient use of resources and reduces the impact on the environment.”